[Sca-cooks] Re: Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 26 10:03:40 PDT 2005

Your reference is probably from Gerard's Herbal, originally published in
1597, although the 1633 edition is what one usually finds.

Other possible early references are Matthiolus "Commentarii" 1554 (a greater
elaboration on his 1544 work which is the first reference to the tomato in
Europe) or Dodoens "Cruydt-Boeck" 1554.  Most other references are directed
at the New World or are 16th Century.

Being a chef or a culinary school does not ensure that the answers one gets
are valid.  Culinary history is a different field from cooking.

Bear

From: "Brandon Withey" <vladimir_armbruster at hotmail.com>