[Sca-cooks] The fruits of my boredom (Not tomatoes)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 27 13:09:40 PDT 2005

I'm sure the recipes are tasty, but from a quick read of some of the
ingredients, several of them could not have been prepared prior to the 17th
Century, which makes the entire group suspect.  BTW, most are traditional
recipes, and not provably pre-17th Century.   If I were preparing an
"authentic" period feast, I would not accept any of these recipes, because
there is no historical provenance associated with them.

"For the sake of authenticity one must needs take the recipe giver at their
word."  Why?  These recipes have authentically been copied from other web
sites which contain obviously modern recipes and provide no provenance on
the sources which are most likely modern cookbooks.  If the goal is
"authenticity," which I usually refer to as historical accuracy, why accept
the scholarly inaccuracies of such sources, when superior scholarship is
available?  Truly good sources for historical cooking will tell you where to
find the original of the dish and help provide a historical context.

Bear

From: "Vladimir Armbruster" <vladimir_armbruster at hotmail.com>