[Sca-cooks] The fruits of my boredom (Not tomatoes)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 27 18:13:00 PDT 2005

My opinion is most of these recipes are 18th Century or later.  Several may
have pre-17th Century antecedents.  While the possibilities exist, a
constant objective in culinary history is to demonstrate the history of a
foodstuff or dish with documentary or other evidence rather than accept a
casual but unprovable statement of the history.  Historical cooking attempts
to recreatea recipe or dish as accurately as possible to a given point in
time.  Evidence is a critical part of either enterprise and I would not
accept any of these recipes as being anywhere near historically accurate
until I had vetted them thoroughly.

Bear