[Sca-cooks] cinnamon leaves

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Jun 28 09:10:24 PDT 2005

Disclaimer:  when I say "cinnamon" it could mean "cassia", and vice
versa, since it is not always possible to determine which one is
meant.

Cinnamon leaves are sold (canned, in brine) in Chinese groceries.
I do not know what modern recipes they are used in.

Viandier has half a dozen recipes that call for "cassia flowers"
(literal translation) which I interpret to be the same as "cassia
buds", and which I assume (pending improved evidence) to be those
clusters of small young leaves that form where the flower will
eventually be.

These clusters are obvious among the canned cinnamon leaves that
I bought, though being only a fraction of the total leaf mass.

Thorvald