[Sca-cooks] cinnamon leaves

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 28 12:58:56 PDT 2005

Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2005 18:10 schrieb James Prescott:
> Disclaimer:  when I say "cinnamon" it could mean "cassia", and vice
> versa, since it is not always possible to determine which one is
> meant.
>
> Cinnamon leaves are sold (canned, in brine) in Chinese groceries.
> I do not know what modern recipes they are used in.
>
> Viandier has half a dozen recipes that call for "cassia flowers"
> (literal translation) which I interpret to be the same as "cassia
> buds", and which I assume (pending improved evidence) to be those
> clusters of small young leaves that form where the flower will
> eventually be.
>
> These clusters are obvious among the canned cinnamon leaves that
> I bought, though being only a fraction of the total leaf mass.

I think the Viandier is referring to dried buds of cassia. These are still
used occasionally in German cuisine under the name of 'Zimtblüte' ('cinnamon
flower') and look like cloves.

I think the leaves are cinnamon rather than cassia, but the people who sell
them don't know for sure themselves.

Giano