[Sca-cooks] cinnamon leaves

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jun 28 18:02:31 PDT 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Daniel Myers wrote:

> Here's another thought:  period English cookbooks often mix
> spellings of flour and flower (flowre, floure, etc...).  Did the
> French also do this?  Could those be references to powdered cassia?

Bad form, replying to my own post, but I just looked up the answer to
my own question so I thought I'd share it.

In Scully's translation of "Viandier" the phrase "fleur de canelle"
shows up three times.  Twice he translates this as ground cinnamon
(cassia) and once as cassia buds.  The word "fleur" itself he lists
in the glossary as "flour".  I didn't look hard, but I didn't come
across any places in "Viandier" where "fleur" meant flower.

Interestingly enough, the recipe where he reads "fleur de canelle" to
mean cassia buds has the word "fleur" in it for only two of the four
source manuscripts.

VAL    "broiez fleur de canelle, graine, girofle,"
MAZ    "broyer gigimbre, cannelle, giroffle et graine de paradis,"
BN    "broiés gingembre, cannelle, girofle, graine de paradis,"
VAT    "broyez gingenbre, fleur de canelle, grainne et girofle,"

I'm more inclined to believe that even this reference is meant to be
ground cassia and not cassia buds.

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)