[Sca-cooks] cinnamon leaves

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Jun 29 01:19:19 PDT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 29. Juni 2005 03:02 schrieb Daniel Myers:

> Bad form, replying to my own post, but I just looked up the answer to
> my own question so I thought I'd share it.
>
> In Scully's translation of "Viandier" the phrase "fleur de canelle"
> shows up three times.  Twice he translates this as ground cinnamon
> (cassia) and once as cassia buds.  The word "fleur" itself he lists
> in the glossary as "flour".  I didn't look hard, but I didn't come
> across any places in "Viandier" where "fleur" meant flower.
>
> Interestingly enough, the recipe where he reads "fleur de canelle" to
> mean cassia buds has the word "fleur" in it for only two of the four
> source manuscripts.
>
> VAL    "broiez fleur de canelle, graine, girofle,"
> MAZ    "broyer gigimbre, cannelle, giroffle et graine de paradis,"
> BN    "broiés gingembre, cannelle, girofle, graine de paradis,"
> VAT    "broyez gingenbre, fleur de canelle, grainne et girofle,"
>
> I'm more inclined to believe that even this reference is meant to be
> ground cassia and not cassia buds.

Could be, but I find it odd that the reader is instructed to grind up flour.
My guess is rather that cassia buds were intended, but bark used instead. The
flavours are very similar. I know that cassia buds were used in period
because a German cookbook specifies 'Zimtblüte' and in German, there is no
chance of confusion; 'blüte' is flower and 'mehl' is flour, all the way back
into period (though some spellings of 'blüte' can be confused with 'blut' -
blood).

EUR 0.02

Giano