[Sca-cooks] Sugar free sports drink alternative

Speaker To Idiots pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Jun 30 06:47:02 PDT 2005

> Anyway, other than the ubiquitous and all-pervasive Gatorade, what commercial
> brands have people tried that are tolerable - not to artificially chemically
> in flavor, and not too fluorescent?
>
> Urtatim / Anahita

I cannot have artificial food coloring nor can I tolerate aspartame, so
I'm limited to clear flavors which are understandably not as popular on
the fighting field because they look like water. The white Powerade is
actually not bad, but it contains high-fructose corn syrup, which is
another thing I'm trying to avoid.

Our solution of late has been drink syrups--cherry with cinnamon and clove
is not documentable but really tasty. I haven't actually tried the
pomegranate toffee as a drink syrup yet (HRM thought it would make great
pancake syrup), but the lemon mint is also really tasty. I don't see why
you couldn't reduce the juice without adding extra sugar to it, if you
were trying to reduce sugar.

Also, there are recipes on the net (and in the Flori-thingy, for that
matter) for switchel, which although AFAIK is not period, is also not
commercial sports drink.

Margaret FitzWilliam

* * * *
The bank called. Your reality check bounced.