[Sca-cooks] Sugar free sports drink alternative

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 09:47:19 PDT 2005

You could use unsweetened koolaid or any of the other unsweetened
drinks to form a base with.

The body is using more of the sugar than the electrolytes.  For diabetics
I have seen solutions of anything from olive oil to penut butter used to keep
them going in heat, along with lots of water.  Protein is useful with the
carbs to slow down your absorbtion and keep you from soaking in all the
sugar at once.

Cadoc MacDaire
(not dead)

On 6/30/05, Speaker To Idiots <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:

> > Anyway, other than the ubiquitous and all-pervasive Gatorade, what commercial
> > brands have people tried that are tolerable - not to artificially chemically
> > in flavor, and not too fluorescent?
> >
> > Urtatim / Anahita
>
> I cannot have artificial food coloring nor can I tolerate aspartame, so
> I'm limited to clear flavors which are understandably not as popular on
> the fighting field because they look like water. The white Powerade is
> actually not bad, but it contains high-fructose corn syrup, which is
> another thing I'm trying to avoid.
>
> Our solution of late has been drink syrups--cherry with cinnamon and clove
> is not documentable but really tasty. I haven't actually tried the
> pomegranate toffee as a drink syrup yet (HRM thought it would make great
> pancake syrup), but the lemon mint is also really tasty. I don't see why
> you couldn't reduce the juice without adding extra sugar to it, if you
> were trying to reduce sugar.
>
> Also, there are recipes on the net (and in the Flori-thingy, for that
> matter) for switchel, which although AFAIK is not period, is also not
> commercial sports drink.
>
> Margaret FitzWilliam
>
> * * * *
> The bank called. Your reality check bounced.

                                    - William Gibson