[Sca-cooks] musings on nightshade

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jun 30 07:04:07 PDT 2005

I am sorry but Bareham and Robyns are the sources for the cookery section.
The history section in the OUP hardcover lists Wilson and Salaman.
This would be--
C. Anne Wilson's Food and Drink in Britain 1973
and this classic work
 The History and Social Influence of the Potato by Redcliffe N. Salaman.
The second edition is edited by J. G. Hawkes
and is still available in paperback from Cambridge University Press.

Once you've acquired Salaman, another that  fits in nicely is The Story
of the Potato
through Illustrated Varieties by Alan Wilson. It's a UK work on heirloom
varieties of the last 250 years and the history of the potato.Bear later
mentioned
<>and > Hawkes, J.G., The Potato: Evolution, Biodiversity, and Genetic
Resources,
>  which probably says something about the way each of us thinks.
He's of course the editor of the earlier Salaman book.
Hope this helps

Johnnae