[Sca-cooks] tarts vs. pies, a bit of help

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 00:54:09 PST 2005

I am new to this period recipe/redaction thing.  I am making a version of a spinach tart from Le Menagier.  I managed to find the original recipe on-line.  I can come up with my own redaction.  However, it just says "to make a tart".  I know there are lots of you guys who can do this sort of thing in your sleep.  I can deal with the pastry part, but I would like to know if you think a "tart" in this context should be:

1.  a circle folded in half and sealed

2.  a regular sort of pie, open-faced like a quiche

3.  a pie with a top crust

I am thinking that it probably should be a normal-sized 9"ish sort of thing, as I was under the impression that larger was generally more common in period.  I know that thinking and impressions are dangerous, so please steer me in the right direction.

This is just for a feast group meeting so it is not incredibly stressful, just trying to head in the right direction.

Thanks ever so much,

Samrah