[Sca-cooks] OP, by a long shot: Questions for Professional Chefs

JAMES REVELLS sudnserv5 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 5 19:59:28 PST 2005

Hej!

    Well my life is changing again, it is looking like I will be getting out
of the jewelry repair business & into the Cabaret business in the next 3-6
months (I will still be doing metalsmithing in the SCA just not doing it to
make a living-long story, catch me at an event over a few drinks).

    My plan is for a theme of New Orleans (I am hoping to call it the "Big
Easy Cabaret").  The entertainment will range from Stand-up comics,
Burlesque style stripers, Blues & Jazz musicians to the more common dancers.
I am at the point where I am getting ready to pitch the plan to the money
man (an old friend of my family), who owns clubs in 6 states (I have found
two places for the club & he will be coming to check it out in a week or
two).  It has been a lot of years since I worked a kitchen as a dish washer,
short order cook, busboy & waiter, so I wanted to ask those who are pros now
a few questions.

    The questions I have are all based on a 5000-7000 square foot club,
which the kitchen will probably be open from 11 AM to 11 PM Monday to Sunday
(club will be open from 11 AM to 2 AM, dinner shows at 6:30, 8:30 & 10:30 on
Friday to Sunday).  The cuisine I have planed is standard steaks, salad, &
sandwiches (we are in New England got to serve to the local pallet) along
with traditional Cajun & Southern dishes.:

What equipment would be needed for the kitchen? (there is nothing in my
preferred place now)

What would be a reasonable size for the kitchen space?

What would an approximate cost for the equipment be?

What would be a reasonable level of kitchen staff?

What is a reasonable rate of pay for the staff?  (when I was a short order
cook some 33 years ago I only made $4.50/hour-I trust the rate has gone up?)

Any one know a professional Cajun chef in New England?

Pax,

Olaf