[Sca-cooks] Cassia vs. "True" Cinnamon (was Cinnamon question)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 15:06:59 PST 2005

It is my understanding from a conversation long ago with a representative from Frontier Herb Co. that true cinnamon (cinnamomum zerylanicum: true cinnamon, soft cinnamon,or  ceylon cinnamon-- from the flacky sticks packaged for Mexican markets) is not available commerically ground.   Ground cinnamon is is generally cinnamomum cassia (cassia, the really hard sticks from craft stores & other places).  There is also a Vietamese cinnamon (cinnamomum loureirri) which is sold ground, but I have no personal experience with it.

Samrah

Daniel Myers <edouard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:
[snipped]
The McCormick website lists the ingredients for their ground cinnamon
as "CINNAMON" (however they do acknowledge on the page that it's
Cinnamomum cassia).

- Doc