[Sca-cooks] OT: Another Japanese cooking contest show

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 23 08:42:24 PST 2005

We have only just discovered the DOTCH Cooking Showdown, "DOTCHI NO
RYORI" SHOW, subtitled in English, on LA's International Channel 18,
Saturday nights at 8:00 p.m.  The title means:  "Which food?"

Two specific dishes are presented by the cooks engaged by the show's two
hosts.  They spend the hour tempting the hearts and palates of seven
hungry judges, who are polled several times so see which they would
prefer to eat.  The final poll at the end of the show determines the
winning dish.  Only those judges who voted for the winning dish get to
eat it, the rest get to watch and go hungry.

The pairs of dishes are usually similar in some respect;  both sweets,
or after-school sandwiches, or dinner entrees.  In a way that makes the
decision even more difficult!  Segments with the farmers or
manufacturers of top-flight ingredients, restaurant chefs fill in the
gaps and increase the anticipation.  The hosts are jolly, the judges
down-to-earth regular people and the outcome always a surprise.

I think I am learning more actual cookery techniques from Dotchi No
Ryori than I ever did from Iron Chef.

Susan