[Sca-cooks] Southern Peas (Was Pease Porridge and Field Peas)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 3 20:29:42 PST 2005

Also sprach Bill Fisher:
>On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:51:53 -0500, Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Been watching the thread with some interest- I think there's a bit of
>>  variation even in the South about the names. Last time I was in N. Carolina,
>>  I picked up a can of something called "field peas" from curiosity, and tried
>>  them. They definitely weren't black-eyed peas, with which I'm quite
>>  familiar. They were rather like lentils, but larger and a bit rounder- not
>>  as flat as a lentil, not as fat as a pea, larger than lentils or "petit
>>  pois" but smaller than big peas, and they were a light tan/yellow, very
>>  similar to the color of lentils. Tasted good- would have used them in
>>  anything that I might use either lentils or small beans in, but they weren't
>>  so outstandingly flavored that I'd ask someone to bring me a few cans, if
>>  they were going to N. Carolina (although I might pick up a couple cans if I
>>  were there and happened to think about it).
>>
>>  Adding to the confusion,
>>
>>  Saint Phlip,
>>  CoD
>

>They could have been shelled pole beans.  That would fit the description.
>
>Cadoc

Howzzabout cow peas or pigeon peas? Or are pigeon peas a Southern
thing? I'm familiar with them as a Caribbean food item (in Spanish,
gandules), and they seem to vaguely fit the above description,
although they range in color, depending on maturity when dried,
canned or frozen, from green to beige to russet to brown...

Adamantius (who does not have cow peas growing locally -- only
cattails... and bottle gourds in the front garden of someone a block
away)

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04