[Sca-cooks] Texas Caviar, was Georgia Caviar - OOP recipe

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 4 05:37:47 PST 2005

Mordonna the Cook posted:

While we are on the subject, here is an oop recipe:

1 lb. fresh or frozen black-eyed peas
2 qt. water
1 tsp. salt
2 cup zesty Italian Dressing
2 cup diced green pepper
2 cup finely chopped onion
1 small can diced jalapenos
1 (2 oz.) jar pimiento
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ground black pepper

Place peas, water, and salt in a boiler.  Bring to a boil on high.  Reduce
heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes, or until peas are fork tender.
Drain.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over peas.  Place in an
airtight container and chill overnight.  Serve as a dip with chips, or over
lettuce or avocado halves as a salad.

 Here in Georgia, I learned a different version of this called Texas Caviar.
The ingredients are similar, but not exact:
black-eyed peas
medium-diced green and red peppers
medium-diced red onion
apple cider vinegar
olive oil
S&P
chopped hard-boiled eggs.

(the version I was given probably included the jalepeno as well, but I left
it out - I'd probably go ahead and add the garlic in next time, tho)
After mixing all of the ingredients together except the eggs, place on a
platter or a low bowl.  Arrange the chopped eggs on top as you would for a
caviar set-up.  Serve with crackers.

I served this at the Mad Science holiday party and it was a big hit.
Christianna

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook