[Sca-cooks] Secret Life of... next appearance

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 11:35:52 PST 2005

Stefan wrote
>I just got through watching the "Secret Life of honey" episode.

SNIP

>They also mentioned in one of their text-only snippets just before a
>commercial the comment that the bees native to America do not make
>honey. We had a discussion earlier where I mentioned that the (honey)
>bee was a European import and someone corrected me saying there were
>native American bees. So it this TV comment is  true then we may both
>be right. If the American bee doesn't make honey though, I'm wondering
>what it uses for food or whatever the European bees use honey for.

Well, i trust Sophie D. Coe when she says that certain words in
languages of the Mayans and the Aztecs refer to honey, and when she
discusses Pre-Columbian Meso-American apiculture.

Native bees don't make as much honey, and they aren't as
"domesticable" as the European honey bee, but it seems to me it's
pretty clear there was honey in the Americas before the arrival of
Europeans and their bees.

-----