[Sca-cooks] OT mail question

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Mar 11 09:40:08 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I received a note, suggesting that I not open attachments...maybe I'm
lost...I thought it was only don't open attachments if you are unaware of
the source....

> -Ardenia

The note was from Vincenzo, and it came to Cook's List. He's right- opening
attachments from anyone is not a good idea unless you know it's coming as
well as who it's coming from. The reason is that a lot of these worms and
viruses have learned to imitate addresses in the infected person's mailbox,
so if, say, I were infected, my machine might send you a message with an
attachment, but might have Adamantius' return address on it. You'd open the
attachment, thinking he was sending you some information, and the nasty
would infect your machine.

Once you understand how these things work, you can pretty well spot them and
delete them before they cause a problem, but as a general rule, if you get
an attachment, don't open it until you're sure you know who sent it. As an
example, Adamantius teases me when he sends me stuff, but his teasing also
serves the purpose of letting me know it's from him and not from some
infected computer.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.