[Sca-cooks] OT mail question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 00:03:30 PST 2005

Phlip replied to Ardenia with:
> > I received a note, suggesting that I not open attachments...maybe I'm
> lost...I thought it was only don't open attachments if you are unaware
> of the source....
> >
> > -Ardenia
>
> The note was from Vincenzo, and it came to Cook's List. He's right-
> opening
> attachments from anyone is not a good idea unless you know it's coming
> as well as who it's coming from.

Yes. In addition, this list is configured to strip out any attachments.
So if you get a message, purportedly from this list with an attachment,
I would immediately trash the message, without even bothering to read
it.

To avoid almost all viruses and spyware you could also just buy a Mac.
:-) I think Linux also has this advantage. An combination of an
operating system set up with more concern about security and the fact
that with much fewer machines, those OSes are less of a target.

However, I think what Ardenia was originally talking about was the
links to specific Florilegium files which I often include in my
messages, rather than an attachment. Those shouldn't be any security
problem. If in doubt, single click on the link, or try to drag it. If
the link changes to something else, than I've been spoofed. You can
also simply open up a browser window and type in the link there. Or
simply go to the Florilegium and use the link to call up the
appropriate Florilegium index file and then click on the actual file.

My solution for the virus and spam culprits? See lots of good ideas in
my punishments-msg file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas