[Sca-cooks] OT mail question

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 07:58:26 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:09:06 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> I remember the knife sharpener, who'd sharpen knives, ice skates,
> garden shears, scissors, hedge clippers, etc., who used to drive
> around in an old truck, ringing a distinctive-sounding bell. Also the
> old Italian produce guy, who'd croon a very specific melody, no doubt
> considering himself Enrico Caruso,
> "Strrrrrrraaaaaaawwwwberrrieeeeessssss... Bloooooooooooooo-berries...
> Cheeee-eee-eee-e-rrrieeeesss...." All this would have been in the
> Outer Boroughs of New York City (Ralph Kramden/Archie Bunker
> territory) as recently as the 60's and early 70's.

Where I grew up it was Old Man Foresman and his produce truck
calling out "Sweet corn! Cantelopes! Mangoes! Straaaaaawwww
berrries! Get 'em fresh!"

When I was real young there was the milkman (who my sisters
kept telling me I looked like) and the Merry Macintosh man who
did door to door dry cleaning runs.  My Dad did metal work so
the scrap iron dude was always there, but he didn't go door to
door.

> [Some other time we can talk about the invisible horsedrawn cart we
> used to hear clip-clopping its way along our street occasionally,
> just before dawn... but I guess that doesn't count as advertising...]

I lived in the land of the Amish, that just meant they were on their
way to the grocery store, and to watch your step on the street.
(Amish
exhaust)

> Adamantius

Cadoc
(who skipped his local SCA event today to be sick at home)

                                    - William Gibson