[Sca-cooks] (LONG!) Dragon Dormant Baronial Investiture

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Sat Mar 12 08:06:46 PST 2005

On Mar 12, 2005, at 12:52 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Petru commented:
>> I was way under-budget. The feast actually cost slightly over 1400$,
>> so about 7$
>> canadian per head. Bulk-shopping does wonder to a budget! :-)) (and
>> quite
>> frankly, we'll need the money to pay for all the regalia!!!). Still,
>> had I
>> known, I would have added more game to the pies, and maybe prepared
>> another
>> fancy dish just for the fun of it. (Turtle soup, anyone? :-))
> Medieval turtle soup? Recipe?
>
> Where would you get the right turtles? I guess, like one of our recent
> cooks did for quail (or some such), you could raise them. :-) But I
> suspect that would take a while.

I couldn't find any recipes off hand, but I did notice earlier this
week that there are turtles in two of the period paintings of fish
sellers.

Fishmongers, Vincenzo Campi (1580s)
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/campi/vincenzo/4fishmon.html

The Fishmonger's Shop, Bartolomeo Passerotti (1580s)
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/p/passerot/fishmong.html

- Doc