[Sca-cooks] (LONG!) Dragon Dormant Baronial Investiture

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Mar 12 10:29:03 PST 2005

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>>  > Where would you get the right turtles? I guess, like one of our recent
>>  > cooks did for quail (or some such), you could raise them. :-) But I
>>  > suspect that would take a while.
>>
>>  I couldn't find any recipes off hand, but I did notice earlier this
>>  week that there are turtles in two of the period paintings of fish
>>  sellers.
>>
>>  Fishmongers, Vincenzo Campi (1580s)
>>  http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/campi/vincenzo/4fishmon.html
>>
>>  The Fishmonger's Shop, Bartolomeo Passerotti (1580s)
>>  http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/p/passerot/fishmong.html
>>
>>  - Doc
>
>For what it's worth, there's a species of turtle referred to as "Soup
>Turtles". Also, in SE Ohio, the snapper turtle was the turtle of choice for
>turtle soup.

My brother is a confirmed, totemic turtle admirer (like me and owls),
and if he were SCAdian he'd have a turtle as a main charge on his
device. He lives in what used to be the summer cottage of the Johnson
family, they of Johnson and Johnson, Johnson City, NY, Tannersville,
NY, etc. He's got a pond in his back yard, full of some pretty
gigantic snapping turtles, and various fish, including crappies,
largemouth bass, channel catfish, and pickerel. He's also an
extremely enthusiastic fisherman in both fresh and salt water.

The last time I was at his place, I found a couple of cans of snapper
soup in his cupboard, made by a company called Bookbinders (I think
that was it), and had the painful task of informing him that he, as a
turtle fan, probably didn't want to buy that stuff any more, as it
was not in fact made from red snapper.

Adamantius, who has not yet opened the can of El Salvador-style
iguana soup he bought a couple of months ago...

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04