[Sca-cooks] OT mail question

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Mar 12 18:52:14 PST 2005

James Prescott wrote:

> At 03:54 -0500 2005-03-12, Martin G. Diehl wrote:
>
> >  BTW, did they have SPAM -- unwanted messages -- in period?
>
> In one sense, yes.  Vendors wandered the streets and
> markets, and many constantly called their wares in a
> variety of ways, musical and not, poetic and not.
>
> Spam if you like, omni-present advertising if you prefer.
>
> Some were even set to music by fascinated composers (check
> out "Street Cries of London" by Ravenscroft & Cobb).

[snip]

> Thorvald

Here is one from my CD collection ...

"The famous Ratketcher, with his travels
into France, and of his returne to London"

To the tune of "the jovial Tinker"
[AKA "Fly Bass" or "Tom a Bedlam"]

The was a rare rat-catcher
    Did about the Country wander,
The soundest blade of all his trade,
    Or I should him greatly slaunder:

        For still would he cry, a Rat tat tat,
            tara rat ever:
        To catch a mouse, or to carouse,
            such a ratter, I saw never.

Upon a Poale he caryed
    Full fourty fulsome Vermine:
Whose cursed lives without any knives,
    To take he did determine.

        And still would he cry, a Rat tat tat,
            tara rat ever: &c.

His talk was all of India,
    The voyage and the Navie:
What Mise or Rattes, or wild Polecats:
    What Stoates or Weesels have yee:

        And still would he cry, a Rat tat tat,
            tara rat ever: &c.

He knew the Nut of India,
    That makes the magpie stagger,
The Mercuries, and Cantharies,
    With Arsnick, and Roseaker,

        And still would he cry, a Rat tat tat,
            tara rat ever: &c.

... for a total of 12 verses in part 1 ...

including this gem ...

He was so brave a bowzer,
    that it was doubtful whether
He taught the Rats, or the Rats taught him
    to be druncke as Rats, together.

        And still would he cry, a Rat tat tat,
            tara rat ever: &c.

The Baltimore Consort; "A Trip to Kilburn" -- Playford
Tunes and their Ballads; Dorian-90238

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD