[Sca-cooks] moveable type

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 13 03:54:25 PST 2005

There is no evidence that Gutenberg's moveable type was anything other than
an independent invention.  There is no way to really tell where he got his
ideas, because very little is known of his life.

No matter how he got the idea, it was the making standardized type of die
cast metal that made the idea great.  When I first learned to set type in my
uncle's shop some 500 years after Gutenberg, we were using the same kind of
lead type with one exception, a groove along the bottom side so you could
tell at a glance if you were setting the type properly.

Bear