[Sca-cooks] moveable type

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Mar 14 19:11:25 PST 2005

Terry Decker wrote:

> ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > According to a book that I read, Gutenberg's discovery
> > was not movable type as such, so much as his method
> > using masters from which the type was cast.
>
> Die cast type
>
> > Type wears out, and you need many copies of each
> > letter.  His invention made printing practical, by
> > letting him carve each letter once, and cast copies
> > as needed.
> >
> > Ranvaig
>
> Standardized type face.  Which, BTW, originally was
> script to give the feel of reading a manuscript.

I recall reading that Gutenberg's 'alphabet' had a rather
large number of 'letters'.  I had my buddy Google help me
wander around to get a better answer than a vague memory.

(I don't guarantee this to be correct)

	Gutenberg had to dealt with more than 300 letters,
	because the Gothic writing used a lot of ornamented
	strokes and also a great number of ligatures [that
	is the connection two nearby letters into one
	graphical sign].

> Bear

[snip]

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

So much wisdom and knowledge -- so little time and bandwidth.

"Thou plenty hast, yet me dost scant"
--John Dowland (1562-1626); "The First Booke of Songs"; 1597.

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
--inspired by P. K. Dick

Visit my online gallery: Renderosity, a 3D Artist's Community
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD