[Sca-cooks] Flaming Nobles was Re: Flaming Subtleties

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 11:08:00 PST 2005

--- Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:
> Was written:
>
> > Since people are lighting and heating their
> homes with open flame, I'm not
> > sure that they would worry TOO much about a
> flaming dish.  Also, I have
> > learned the hard way that a single spark
> often is not enough to burn
> > charcloth  (especially made for burning), so
> I expect it would take a bit
> of
> > doing to set your average table setting/tabe
> cloth on fire.
> >
> I've not been following this thread but has
> anyone mentioned that famous
> incident in the French court where in three, or
> was it four, high ranking
> nobles were "accidentially" burned to death
> when their "wildmen of the
> woods" costumes caught fire?
>
> Daniel

Actually it was eight who did a "wildman" dance
wearing pitch and feathers as their costume.
All were burned to some degree, but at least
four eventually died of their burns.  I believe
that the sparks came from the torches that they
carried.  I have been trying to find a copy
of the art work depicting this tragedy, but
I haven't found one yet.

Huette

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.