[Sca-cooks] Flaming Nobles was Re: Flaming Subtleties

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Mar 15 11:53:07 PST 2005

At 11:41 AM 3/15/2005, you wrote:

>--- James Prescott <prescotj at telusplanet.net>
>wrote:
>
> > 1393.  At the famous 'Bal des Ardents' the King
> > and five others
> > were dressed as wild men, their costumes caught
> > fire, and four of
> > the King's companions were horribly burned to
> > death.
> >

> > Thorvald
>
>http://www.bnf.fr/enluminures/images/jpeg/i3_0087.jpg

Just to note- the incident was made worse by the fact that the 'wild men'
were chained together- once one was aflame, the others couldn't escape.

Also, this particular illuminiation was done nearly 100 years after the
incident. Geek that I am, I'd like to point out the cool light fixtures,
the *very* short doublets, and get a load of those hennins! w00t!

'Lainie