[Sca-cooks] Batter frying--the origin of fish and chips?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Mar 17 10:38:31 PST 2005

There's a paper  in the Oxford Symposium on Fish
on Fish and Chips and their development. Nothing therein
mentions Jewish tradtions for the fish frying.
Wilson mentions the fried fish in her fish chapter in Food and Drink in
Britain
and cites PNB or A Proper Newe Book of Cookery.
The online edition of that which is the Frere version which would be 1557-58
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bookecok.htm
Soles or any other fyshes fryed.
appears in the second course of a fish day menu.

The recipe for A Pyke sauce for a Pyke, Breme, Perche, Roche, Carpe,
Eles, Floykes and almaner of brouke fyshe.

ends with
And also yf you wyll
frye them, you muste take a good quantitie of
persely, after the fyshe is fryed, put in the
persely into the fryinge panne, and let it frye
in the butter and take it up and put it on the
fryed fyshe, and frye place, whyttinge and
suche other fyshe, excepte Eles, freshe Salmon,
Conger, which be never fryed but baken, boyled,
roosted or sodden.

But this seems to indicate pan frying in butter, not deep frying.

Johnnae