[Sca-cooks] Sugar beets

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 19 14:44:48 PST 2005

Andreas Sigsmund Marggraf.  He first extracted sugar from beets in 1747
(when Boswell was 7 or 8 years old).

The method used was high proof alcohol extraction (brandy in the original
experiments) which would probably limit any earlier extraction to some time
after 1400.  The extraction process is more complicated than that of cane
sugar and doesn't produce the yield of cane sugar.  Marggraf hoped that his
process could be used by farmers to produce sugar for their own use, but
that idea went nowhere, suggesting that the process may have been too
complicated, cumbersome or costly to join the whiskey still in the shed out
back.

While I've seen the claims for beet sugar been known before Marggraf, they
are always made as a throw in without supporting evidence or citations to
primary sources.  The references smack of citing opinion of authority as
authoritative fact.

Bear