[Sca-cooks] Maybe OOP - Chinese Brown Sauce

SEBD at aol.com SEBD at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 18:01:18 PST 2005

In a message dated 3/21/05 7:40:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:

The only one  I absolutely can't figure out is the mysterious brown
goo some restaurants  and take-out places put on egg foo young (we just
drizzle oyster sauce or dark  soy out of the bottle at home; it's much better).
___________

Good thinking! Unfortunately, I learned to make it in my giddy youth.

The impenetrable brown goo atop retro-style egg fu young is made  thusly:

1 cup Chinese chicken broth
1 T regular soy sauce
1 T oyster sauce
1 T cornstarch in four t water

Boil the broth, stir in the seasonings, thicken with the cornstarch and
water.

Drop this glop liberally onto the fried egg/veggie/meat or fish  pancake, let
the whole mess congeal slightly, and serve.

Elianne