[Sca-cooks] Sugar and cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 22:55:34 PST 2005

Ardenia asked:
> 2. Anyone have a good recipe for "Rock Candy"?
Hmmm. Anyone know if this is period? Or if not, when it was first made?
The basic technique seems so easy as to be obvious, but then so does
that of a sandwich.

Stefan
PS: I did hear an interesting theory though, at a Gulf Wars class, that
sandwiches weren't done in period because the bread did not have much
rise because of the hardness of the wheat. And thus it made a bread
that was too dense or perhaps just not tall enough, to be sliced
conveniently into sandwich slices. I'm not at all sure about this
theory, but I do feel there is some reason, other than they just didn't
think of it, that sandwiches weren't done in period.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com