[Sca-cooks] Aqras Mukallala

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 09:47:15 PST 2005

Someone wrote:
>  > Would this have been a roasted or a plain sesame oil? I seem to
>  > remember comments on this list that what you wanted for medieval Middle
>  > Eastern recipes was the non-roasted stuff, which was harder to find,
>  > and I think my searching for it bore this out.

Yes, UNROASTED. Here in Berzerkley, i have no problem finding
cold-pressed sesame oil.

Jadwiga wrote:
>By the way, if you find a reasonably priced source for this, I want
>some. Sesame oil (the light kind)
>is the base for Neutrogena body oil.

I buy good quality cold pressed sesame oil at the health food store -
i get Spectrum brand. How reasonable the price is depends on how much
you want to buy. IIRC, it's around $4 for 12 ounces. Since i only use
it occasionally (and i keep it in the fridge to retard oxidation,
i.e., so it doesn't get rancid too fast), i don't mind paying the
price for good flavor and quality.

I have tried the sesame oil from the Middle Eastern market, which is
cheaper, but ya gets what ya pays for. It was nowhere near as good in
freshness or flavor as the health food brand.

If i were putting oil on my skin, i'd want the cleanest freshest i
could get, so i'd go for the Spetrum brand.
--
Urtatim, formerly Anahita