[Sca-cooks] Re: equivalents - OOP

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 12:41:32 PST 2005

1/3 = 3/9

1/4 plus 1/8 = 3/8, which is a tiny smidge more than 3/9.  With baking powder that should be close enough

Cordelia Toser

Devra at aol.com wrote:
I got this neat new book called 'Small Batch Baking', which is
intended to let you make 2-3 muffins or 6 cookies or 2 small tarts - for people
living alone, and that sort of thing. I tried their Pineapple Upside Down Cake
(which isn't as good as mine, IMHO) and noticed that what they had down was
divide a normal recipe by 3. Thus, 1/3 C sugar and flour instead of a cup, and 1
egg yolk instead of 3 eggs. So I'm thinking that I might try my own
(superlative) PUSD Cake divided by three - much less guilt...
So, most of the divisions are easy and clear, but how do you divide 1
teaspoon of baking powder, when there is no 1/3 t measuring spoon? I have 1/8,
1/16, and 1/32 spoons, but my math won't work to convert. (They used 1/8 t
baking soda, 1/8 t salt, and 4 T buttermilk instead of juice.)

1/4 plus 1/8? a scant 1/2? 1/4 plus a pinch?

Not being a spoon tease ---

My Mom's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 stick butter (4 oz)
1 C dark brown sugar, firmly packed (can use brownulated, but...)
small can pineapple slices in juice, juice reserved
maraschino cherries as desired (6-8)

3 eggs, separated
1 C granulated sugar
5 T pineapple juice (basically, all the juice in the can)
1 C flour (need not sift)
1 tsp baking powder

1. Melt butter in large frying pan that can go into the oven, or round pan.
(Well, we always use the same pan - I dunno - 9 inch x 2 inch deep?)
2. Blend in brown sugar, and cook for a few minutes, until bubbly. Spread
evenly over bottom of pan.
3. Arrange pineapple slices over sugar and put as many cherries as you like
(in the rings, between the rings, etc.) Set aside.
4.Turn oven to 325-350 (a moderate oven).
5. Beat egg yolks, sugar and juice until well blended.
6. Add flour and baking powder.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into flour mixture.
8. Pour over fruit.
9. Bake in oven approx 45 - 60 minutes. Cake should test dry on toothpick,
and perhaps pull away from pan a little.
10. Cool in pan about 2-3 minutes, then slip knife around pan to loosen cake.

11. Turn out onto plate carefully (that sucker is still quite hot.) Watch out
for running liquid from top.

Cool and eat. Does not need any further embellishment.

The small recipe suggests using pineapplie tidbits, and mixing the sugar with
the fruit before spooning into melted butter in 2 very large muffin pans. I
used two teensy loaf pans. They also suggest melting the butter in the oven,
since butter is easier to measure when cold, and you don't loose any in the
melting pot this way.

But I'd still like advice on the amount of baking powder.
Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com