[Sca-cooks] weather fronts and the humors

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 3 23:32:28 PDT 2005

Maire asked:
> Obligatory Food-ish Question: I'm assuming that middle-ages me, if
> educated in these things, would have seen my physical reactions to
> storm
> fronts/weather changes as an imbalance in my humors? Would it have been
> seen as too much of the moist/cold? Not enough? Anyone care to expound
> on what sort of foods or herbs would have been recommended? Modern-me
> does Pretty Good with her NSAIDS, but wonders how similar things were
> handled in the 14th century....

Interesting question. But would they have tried to put a humorial
aspect on this at all? I thought the theory of the humors was balance
within the individual. Just as you can see the storm fronts come
through and relate various effects to them, wouldn't they? I would more
believe them commenting that folks with certain humorial balances were
more (or less) effected by the weather, rather than that the weather
affected someone's humorial balance. But most of my knowledge of
humorial theory comes from discussions in this group.

Since it was an agricultural society, I might also expect them to be
even more attuned to the weather than we tend to be. Without barometers
or probably even the idea of atmospheric pressure, it is interesting to
wonder just what their concepts of weather were.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com