[Sca-cooks] weather fronts and the humors

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed May 4 07:48:06 PDT 2005

> >Obligatory Food-ish Question: I'm assuming that middle-ages me, if
> >educated in these things, would have seen my physical reactions to
> >storm
> >fronts/weather changes as an imbalance in my humors? Would it have been
> >seen as too much of the moist/cold? Not enough? Anyone care to expound
> >on what sort of foods or herbs would have been recommended? Modern-me
> >does Pretty Good with her NSAIDS, but wonders how similar things were
> >handled in the 14th century....
>
> Interesting question. But would they have tried to put a humorial
> aspect on this at all? I thought the theory of the humors was balance
> within the individual. Just as you can see the storm fronts come
> through and relate various effects to them, wouldn't they? I would more
> believe them commenting that folks with certain humorial balances were
> more (or less) effected by the weather, rather than that the weather
> affected someone's humorial balance.

Yes, they would see how a particular person was affected by changes in
the outside world (take a look at the Tacunium Santitanis) and adjust
diet thereby. That's what all the stuff about directions of winds,
seasons, etc. is about.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
			-- Harry S. Truman