[Sca-cooks] Junket

Ariane Helou Ariane_Helou at brown.edu
Mon May 9 19:55:05 PDT 2005

So, I was reading this account of feasts in medieval Italy, and there's a
description of a wedding banquet that took place on June 15, 1368 (Petrarch
was among the luminaries attending).  There were 18 (!!) courses,
consisting of gilded roasts and feathered peacocks and so forth...nothing
I'd attempt to make, but I'm interested in this account for menu-planning
purposes, to get a sense of the order in which foods were served and
eaten.  In that respect, it's been pretty useful.

Here are the basics, for others who are curious about such things: each
course seems to consist of fish and either meat or poultry (occasionally
both).  The contents of the accompanying dishes are not always named, but
include cabbage, beans, salted tongue, and some pastries.  ("Side dishes"
are not that hard to figure out, since several of the vegetable or legume
recipes instruct the cook to "serve with roast _____")  And lots of wine.

But the part that interests me at the moment is that the seventeenth course
is "junket and cheese," and the eighteenth is "fruits, with cherries."  My
cookbook has a recipe:

"Junket.
Take pure milk, clear, strained, and add kid or lamb rennet; and when it is
curdled, wash it well, and put it between reeds, and give it to your Lord;
or put it in cold water instead until it is time to eat."

I like to end my modern meals with fruit and cheese, so it's rather
delightful to find that the same was done in the fourteenth century.  While
I could probably substitute any kind of fresh, soft, sweetish cheese, I'm
interested in trying to make the junket itself.

It sounds a little like cottage cheese to me.  I'm not sure what "put it
between reeds" means -- pressing it, I suppose?  Which would mean it's much
more solid than cottage cheese -- maybe more like farmer's cheese or
something.  The alternate instructions to put it in cold water make me
think that the curds can either be pressed and served later, or kept cool
and served fresh the same day.

Since the meal I'm planning this for is at a camping event, I'd need to
make the junket anywhere from a week to a day in advance, so the pressed
version seems more appropriate.  On the other hand, if it's going to be
very time-consuming or difficult, perhaps I ought to just buy more cheeses
and devote my energies to the more substantial and central parts of the
meal... which brings me back to the question of what a finished junket
looks like, anyway. :-)

thanks,

Vittoria