[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: [EK] Dying linen with saffron]

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 21:04:52 PDT 2005

Please check with her and see if she is using any sort of mordant, or just hot water (like a tea stain type thing).

Thanks,
Samrah

Daniel Myers <eduard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:

On May 9, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Martin G. Diehl wrote:

>>> From: Baron Ernst Nuss von Kitzingen
>>>
>>> Can anyone please lead me to some sources regarding
>>> dying linen with saffron?
>>>
>>> First, I need information regarding dying silk and/or linen with
>>> saffron. Not alternatives, not suggestions for similar colors but
>>> actually dying silks and linens using saffron.

I'll forward this question to my lady (she does all the silkewerk in
this family), but I can say for a fact that silk takes up saffron
color very nicely. A couple of times in the past she's put water in
the mortar I used to grind really fresh saffron and then dyed a skein
of hand-reeled silk with it. It doesn't take much saffron at all to
do the trick and the color turns out incredibly rich.

- Doc