[Sca-cooks] Guinea Fowl

patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca
Mon May 16 18:54:56 PDT 2005

While we're on the topic of misnamed and weird geographic distribution of food
items...

I'm wondering whether Guinea Fowl has been documented in period. According to
the Larousse Gastronomique, the bird is from Africa and was known to the
Romans. I've also seen the term in Weaver's 'Food and Drink in Medieval Poland'
but I mistrust this source. It may have been an error in translation, and since
I can't remember where in his text I saw this I can't verify his source (if
any, and if available).

Petru