[Sca-cooks] Now at Zingermans

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 17 16:21:37 PDT 2005

This was probably the weirdest thing to come out of the
UM's culinary weekend...
Ari Weinzweig  of Zingerman's gave one of the talks. (Go hear him if you
get the
chance. He's great.) He explained how a Russian History grad went from
studying anarchism to washing dishes to being one of the owners of one of
the best deli's in the nation.
Anyway he's talking about cornmeal and wild wild rice (not cultivated rice)
and suddenly he starts into this new product that he can carry now.
He's so excited because he'd been looking for a reliable source for 15
years.
It's Balinese Long Pepper and he described it as
This long pepper comes to us from the same folks from whom we've been
getting that lovely organic natural sea salt from Bali.
Yes folks, long peper... and Zingerman's  now carries it!
http://www.zingermans.com/Product.pasp?Category=&ProductID=P%2DLBP&Target=&ShippingAddressID=
They are even using it in certain dishes at the Roadhouse.
I don't why he says "Get Medieval and make a sweet-spicy dessert by
poaching pears in white wine, vanilla, a touch of sugar and lots of long
pepper."
since we all know that vanilla isn't medieval, but he's that sort of guy!

Johnnae