[Sca-cooks] Period-appropriate cookies and cookie-like substances....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun May 22 09:45:24 PDT 2005

I have a request for the list, if y'all don't mind.  The household of
which I am but a humble part has accepted the duty and privilege of
providing the repast for the Queen's Tea to be held at Uprising in June.
  (Uprising, while definitely a local event belonging to the particular
barony that hosts it, is also Artemisia's single largest annual event.
Traditionally, on Saturday there is a Queen's Tea and Artisans'
Exhibition....)  One of the heads of our household has requested that I
bring "cookies," (with us both understanding that this includes anything
remotely similar to such things as are modernly called "cookies,"
including, but not limited to, small cakes, wafres, etc.).
So...cookies I'll bring.  They need to be from a period source, and they
need to be transportable (I live 5 hours away from the group hosting the
event).  I'd originally thought of, maybe, Shrewsbury cakes, but those
have been done in the past, and I also thought of maybe making something
lovely like wafres and snow or angels' food (making the wafres in
advance and the snow or angels' food on site), but I'm afraid the wafres
wouldn't stand the journey very well.  I could always do shortbread
(easy, familiar, travels well), but my recipes are perioid, and I'd like
to stick with documentable dishes....
So....I'm asking for ideas and suggestions. I'm mostly familiar with the
English cookbooks, but would certainly love to branch out into other
cuisines (German, Spanish, Arab, Italian) if I could!
Thanks in advance from Maire, who now returns you to your
regularly-scheduled Sunday mornings....