[Sca-cooks] Period-appropriate cookies and cookie-likesubstances....

Denise Wolff scadian at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 09:58:07 PDT 2005

The original recipe is from Sir Kenelme Digbie's The Closet Opened
printed in 1669 by Digbie's nephew and including his uncle's store of
recipes used at the court of James I.

Excellent Small Cakes

Take three pound of very find flower well dryed by the fire, and put to it a
pound and a half of loaf Sugar sifted in a very fine sieve and dryed; Three
pounds of Currants well washed and dryed in a cloth and set by the fire;
When you flower is well mixed with the Sugar and Currants, you must put in
it a pound and a half of unmelted butter, ten spoonfuls of Cream, with the
yolks of three new-laid Eggs beat with it, one Nutmeg; and if you please,
three spoonfuls of Sack. When you have
wrought your paste well, you must put it in a cloth, and set it in a dish
before the fire, til it be through warm. Then make then up in little cakes,
and prick them full of holes; you muct bake them in a wuick oven unclosed.
Afterwards Ice them over with Sugar. The Cakes should be about the bigness
of a hand-breadth and thin: of the cise of the Sugar Cakes sold at Barnet.

**I love this recipe. I use it often. I bring it to bake sales mundanely
too.
Andrea MacIntyre

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste
rather than exact measurements. ~ Marcel Boulestin "

“Non cooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes'
enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, well, so is the ballet.”
Julia Child(1912-2004)

http://homepage.mac.com/rickwolff/andrea/