[Sca-cooks] Re: Capers

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed May 4 10:00:00 PDT 2005

Gianotta commented:
> ... (although I am guilty of
> demolishing the capers on the plate, I joyfully heaped them on the
> salmon pie).
>
> Me and capers. :-) I know when I am PMSing when I suddenly the thought
> of eating an entire bottle of capers is overwhelmingly appealing.

Perhaps this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the
Florilegium might be of interest?

capers-msg       (19K) 9/19/01   Use of capers in medieval food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/capers-msg.html

Stefan

Capers, yes, my preciousssss, yes, we wants them, yes we do ...

A bit of heaven for me: really good smoked salmon, some chive cream cheese, a bagel. Spread split, toasted bagel with chive cream cheese; lay a couple of slices of smoked salmon on one half of the bagel. Take the other half and press capers into the cream cheese coating the bagel. Throw more capers on top of the lox. Press the caper-encrusted top half to the salmon-beslabbed bottom half. Eat.

My grandmother's pseudo-Sicilian antipasto: Take a couple of cans of white albacore tuna, anchovies, good black and green olives, a jar of roasted roasted red pepper, green and red pickled peproncini (those stuffed with provolone and prosciutto are particularly good), cubes of aged provolone or other hard sharp Italian cheese — pecorino also works, and a couple of jars of capers. Drain the olives, capers, and roasted red pepper, and the tuna and anchoy fillets. Toss in a big bowl with the cheese, breaking up the  chunks of tuna. Eat with a good crusty bread and a little red wine vinegar sprinkled over the salad.

Yeah, I know it's salty. So? You're talking to the family who had a salt shaker at practically every place setting for Sunday dinner!

Gianotta (now dreaming of shrimp in a caper-lemon-garlic-butter sauce)