Meat prices, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Marrow substitute

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu May 5 05:37:57 PDT 2005

Fish prices are expensive here because we're so far inland AND we're not
anywhere near a major market or airport.
It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the beef prices are so
high because of the restrictions against importing Canadian beef.
Maybe the hamburger is packaged in 1.25 lb boxes because of expected
shrinkage??? Ours still comes in the
around-a-pound-but-usually-a-little-less size, as well as chubs and
family sizes.
Meat prices weren't something that my family thought about much, when I
was growing up, because we had a LOT of wild game.  And once we had the
farm, we also raised a few beef cattle, in addition to the chickens and
such.
I've been starting to explore some meat-free or meat-reduced cuisines.
I've only got the one, little cookbook on curries and Indian
(sub-continent) food, and would love to get a good cookbook for it.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to know how to make
paneer, for instance, which my little book doesn't touch on, although it
has interesting things like instructions for making coconut milk, and
various fresh spice blends.  Mmmmmm.....
--maire, making herself hungry and it's not even breakfast time yet! ;o)