[Sca-cooks] non-meaty cooking, was Re: Meat prices

Ariane Helou Ariane_Helou at brown.edu
Thu May 5 08:48:45 PDT 2005

At 06:37 AM 5/5/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>I've been starting to explore some meat-free or meat-reduced cuisines.
>I've only got the one, little cookbook on curries and Indian
>(sub-continent) food, and would love to get a good cookbook for it. Does
>anyone have any recommendations?

I recently got a copy of Deborah Madison's "The Savory Way" as a gift for a
friend of mine -- it's a classic of vegetarian cooking, and she is still
one of the pre-eminent vegetarian chefs in the U.S.  Alice Waters (founder
of Chez Panisse, my favorite restaurant in the world!) is likewise
goddess-ly when it comes to dealing with fresh produce, although she does
have plenty of recipes for meat, poultry, and fish as well.

>I'd like to know how to make paneer, for instance, which my little book
>doesn't touch on, although it has interesting things like instructions for
>making coconut milk, and various fresh spice blends.  Mmmmmm.....
>--maire, making herself hungry and it's not even breakfast time yet! ;o)

Actually, I find paneer at my local grocery store -- granted, it's on the
pricey side, so I haven't bought any yet.  If there are Indian markets in
your area, they'd certainly carry it too...  Paneer reminds me of certain
Middle Eastern cheeses, which can be cheaper and easier to find, and I've
thought about trying to substitute them in recipes and see if they
work.  But first that involves buying the paneer itself to make the
comparison.  It's a vicious cycle. ;-)

So, on a totally different note, I just got done translating this 14th c.
Italian cookbook.  There are a couple of really funky things in there that
I can't figure out, so I've hopped back on this list after a long-ish
absence to try to get some advice, if I may, about on what's going on in
these recipes. :-)  More questions to come...

Vittoria