[Sca-cooks] Seasonal Produce, was Meat Prices

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu May 5 05:57:26 PDT 2005

I'm beginning to wonder what's left to eat!

'Lainie

Well, I've been preachin' the whole "eat seasonal, eat local" thing to my
students, and my neighbors just turned me on to a new organic produce
buyer's co-op called MellowBellies.  For 25 bucks a week, they will deliver
a box of organic produce of mixed contents, enough for a family of 4 or 2
that eat a lot of veggies.

Here is a description of a box:
> What’s in the box?  It was rare to receive the same combination of
> produce from week to week.  For example, one week last summer a box
> consisted of a watermelon, half a dozen ears of corn, a small bag of
> tomatoes, a handful of summer squash, a few onions, 2 heads of garlic,
> a bag of arugula.  The next week, we might get a bag of pears (about
> 9), arugula, a large bag of edamame, more corn (6-12 ears), summer
> squash, a pint of blueberries,  maybe a head of cabbage. Once we
> received a small bear bottle of honey. Count on more tomatoes this year
> since now the farm grows them in a greenhouse.

	Buyer's co-ops for your local areas are cropping up in more and more
places, I'd say that eating localally produced foods that are in season are,
as always, the way to go.
Christianna