[Sca-cooks] Re: Capers

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu May 5 07:29:26 PDT 2005

>Was it yummy? Did you think of poor, caperless 'Lainie as you ate?
>
>Poor ole 'Lainie
>(Yes, I'm poking fun at you :-)

It was decent.

I heated olive oil in a deep pan. Then added sliced garlic and sweated
that out a bit. Followed that with chopped crimini mushrooms. I added
red pepper flakes and let that flavor cook in. I have a little package of
"bake potato toppers" consisting of dried tomatoes, mushrooms, shallots
etc...that I rehydrated and threw in. Then a package of tuna packed
in water and the capers with a bit of the brine. I simmered that for
about 10 minutes and tossed on some whole wheat spaghetti and about
a quarter cup of the cooking liquid. Some salt and fresh ground pepper
were added.

It wasn't bad. When I make it again I'm going to change the dried tomatoes
for fresh and add lemon juice.

Still, a very quick, easy and nice meal with a glass of white wine.

Heh. And after that I got cooking.

I tried a rather silly recipe I saw on FoodTV.

I shredded a cabbage and tossed it with olive oil and salt. Fried this until
the cabbage softened. While this was cooking I microwaved diced potatoes
and carrots then added them once they were softened. I tossed this around
until everything was well mixed and starting to get a little browned. Then
added a tin of canned corned beef. Stir and cover and let cook together for
15 minutes. The result is surprisingly good. This is lunch for a couple of
days.
I've got a container of it waiting for me with a nice dollop of horseradish.
I'm
sure the office will love me once  that heats up.  :-)

Gunthar