Meat prices, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Marrow substitute

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu May 5 09:58:29 PDT 2005

Also sprach Truman Barnes:
>Hey I live on the east coste and the fish prices are out of reach.   Chirhart
>
>Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote: Fish prices are expensive
>here because we're so far inland AND we're not
>anywhere near a major market or airport.

While I agree that many of the fish prices are insanely high, if you
are lucky enough to live in a place near the ocean (as both Chirhart
and I do), there are [comparative] bargains out there if you know
where to look, and (this is gonna be one of things that sounds bad no
matter how tactful you are) if you're not too choosy about what fish
you buy. By which I mean, be choosy about buying fresh, high-quality
fish, but don't overlook perfectly good fish because it's not salmon,
halibut or striped bass (or whatever it is you're familiar with).
Find out what seafood, if any, is local to you. For example, in the
New York City/Long Island area, the local cod, mackerel and shad are
pretty much out, ditto flounder, but the bluefish are just starting
to get respectably big, porgies or scup are prominent now, and fluke
won't be in until the summer. Buying local fish in season is usually
a good way to get good prices: it costs the vendors money to store
them, so they want to get rid of them quickly.

Markets that cater to various ethnic communities that eat a lot of
fish are probably better than ones that don't, both in quality and
pricing. Without engaging in ethnic stereotyping of any kind (what,
me??? I never!), I suspect that the Duck Wong Trading Company or
Competello's Fish are both better bets than John Whitbread's Olde
Fish Emporium.

Another hint is to check the sports pages of your local newspaper (if
you live near the ocean); often commercial "party boats" will
advertise there, indicating not only where they dock and when they
leave, but more importantly, what they're expecting to catch. This is
one great indicator of what seafood is local to you. You don't
actually have to go and catch your own fish (although it's pretty
cool!).

Adamantius, doing 87 things at once

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782