Meat prices, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Marrow substitute

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 09:59:23 PDT 2005

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
> At 08:41 PM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
> >Unless you're buying it in the 10-lb. chubs, hamburger here is over
> >$3/lb.  It costs more than boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Steaks
> >are 4 and 5 dollars a pound (or more, for the fancier cuts), roasts
> >usually over 3, unless you find a screaming deal.  Pork not that much
> >cheaper, and let's *not* mention the price of fish.
> >It's enough to make me go vegetarian, for pete's sake.  Given current
> >living situation, I can't even buy in bulk when it's on sale.....
> >*sigh*
> >--sue in nw artemisia (montana)
>
> That's pretty near to here- and there's really no excuse for the prices,
> even of seafood. (And why is beef so high in MONTANA, or all places?) My
> student Larry was over for a work night a few weeks back- I got the urge to
> make soft tacos, and was horrified to find that all of the hamburger (yes,
> except for the chub) was in neat little 1.25lb boxes- for $3.99! That's
> ridiculous! For one thing, why 1.25lbs? It used to be in 1lb packages, or
> in 'about' a pound packs. And $3.99 for that much? Where not talking the
> extra low fat stuff either- I get the 15% fat, not to 10 or 7%. Maybe it's
> a good thing I'm not really eating much meat anymore- when *hamburger* is
> that expensive... I can remember my mom yelling about 79 cents a pound-
> there was some sort of boycott going on too. '73? '74 maybe? I can remember
> where we were shopping then, and her cornering the grocery manager. (Hmm...
> maybe I come by it honestly...) We ate a LOT of hamburger then, so I
> suspect it hit her budget really hard.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder what's left to eat!
>
> 'Lainie

I guess I am lucky.  I just bought 20 lbs of 15% hamburger for $20.  It was the kind that was
packaged in long cylindrical packages.  I walked by, looking at the regular prices and decided
not to buy, until I saw little stickers on the packages that said "priced to sell".  Their
sell date was that day, so they had reduced the price so they wouldn't have to chuck it.
They had four 5 lb packages reduced and I bought all of them.  Three are sitting in the
freezer and I am working through the fourth gradually. Hamburgers yesterday.  Meatloaf today.
Spaghetti on Saturday.

Huette

Optimism is an intellectual choice.