[Sca-cooks] "Cooking Under Fire"

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 12:18:40 PDT 2005

--- Daniel Myers <eduard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:

> On May 7, 2005, at 1:32 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > One of the first contests was to cook an egg they were given. They
> > could use other ingredients they found in the kitchen. I probably
> > would have hard-boiled the egg and then cut it decoratively and
> > used bits of vegetation and such to make a pretty presentation. I'm
> > rather surprised that none of the contestants did this. Perhaps a
> > hard-boiled egg is too "simple". Other entries were eggs scrambled
> > with various items and omelets.
>
> Did they specify what kind of dish was to be made with the egg?  One
> of the first ideas that came to my mind was an little custard topped
> with snowe.  Of course, that assumes that sugar, cream and milk would
> be available, and if a citrus fruit was around the zest could be used
> as flavoring.
>
> - Doc

No they didn't specify what kind of dish to be made, just that the main ingredient was
to be an egg.  But there was a 10 minute time limit and definitely a limit of stove
and oven space.  I am not sure that you could have made a decent custard in 10 minutes.
The extras seem to be various.  They never showed what extras the contestants had available
for their use.

And I had a problem with the "mis en place" challenge, because they didn't even give the
contestants a hint as to what they were going to use it for, which was unfair.  Almost all
had problems in the next show when they had to use the "mis en place" with the ingredients
they were subsequently given.

Huette

Optimism is an intellectual choice.