[Sca-cooks] What Would You Make?

nickiandme at att.net nickiandme at att.net
Mon May 9 06:57:52 PDT 2005

Hmm,

1 cup whole raw almonds
1 bottle (24oz) bitter orange juice
1 cup French green lentils
4 oz. powdered ginger
2 cups baby spinach greens
1/2 pound bacon

To this I would add - unbleached flour, butter, and eggs.

Puff pastry in the Italian style -
I'd make a layered(puff-like) pastry with the flour and butter.  Then I would mince 1 cup of the spinach greens, add an egg, and 1/4 cup of ground almonds.  Then I would layer the pastry, 1/2 the spinach mixture, and then another layer of pastry.  1/4 pound (or 2 -3 strips of the bacon) and the rest of the spinach mixture, then the top layer of pastry.  I would smear some butter across the top and sprinkle with some ground almonds, and brush with the orange juice before baking in the hot oven (400 degrees) for 20 minutes..

Spinach pie
I would then make a small pie pastry with butter and flour.  Grind the rest of the almonds.  Mix with two tablespoons of the bacon fat, and 1 egg.  Coarsely chop the rest of the spinach.  Mix in with the almond mixture.  Add in another egg.  Then sprinkle with some of the ground ginger.  Bake for 20 minutes in a moderate (350 degree) oven.

Gingered lentils.
Then, I would mince and fry the rest of the bacon.  Reserve the cooked fat.  I would cook the lentils, add the cooked bacon and stir in (starting with 1 teaspoon and incrementing by the 1 /4 teaspoonful until the flavor is where I like it)  the ground ginger.

This last one assume I may use water to cook with without counting it towards my ingredients.

Kateryn de Develyn
writing this day from the Barony of Coeur d'Ennui
in the Kingdom of Calontir